Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentine’s Day

I have always loved Valentine’s Day and have always tried to give unique and very special gifts to those people I love. A few years ago I began giving cameo lockets to my daughter and mother. Every year I add a new piece to their collection and they really seem to enjoy them. I will have inscriptions written on them so they will always know what year each locket was given. This year I had my mom and dad’s wedding picture put inside of hers and I know she will treasure it for the rest of her life.

For the men in my life I usually give them each a classic pocket watch inscribed with the date. These are functional watches that are often carried on special occasions in the pocket of a suit vest. It is a rather impressive accessory that generally catches the eye of everybody around.

In these days when so many people are giving the newest technology for birthday or Christmas gifts I have stepped back in time I started giving gifts that will stand the test of time and continue to go up in value as time goes on. I feel gifts should continue to bring joy to those people I give them to long after the holiday has passed. Eventually I hope all the pieces of vintage jewelry I’ve given will be passed down through the generations.

The pocket watches and lockets I’ve given my family are all pieces I found in antique stores, vintage jewelry stores, and even on the Internet. I spend a great deal of time searching for just the right pieces to give as gifts or to purchase for my own collection. I am now known for giving these types of gifts which makes my shopping so much easier. I don’t have to wonder what to get my family for special occasions anymore; they all know I will surprise them with a lovely new piece to add to their vintage collections.


No comments:

Post a Comment